Chicken tinola or Tinolang Manok is an authentic Filipino chicken soup dish dating back to the time of the Philippine national hero Jose Rizal in the 1800s. The dish was mentioned in one of his books entitled “Noli Me Tangere”. This delicious chicken dish is usually served during the rainy season or when someone is sick because of its comforting effect and nutrional value. Try this easy to cook chicken tinola and let me know your thoughts. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 kg Fresh Chicken cut into serving size
- 200 grams Chicken Liver (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 pcs long green chili pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 thumb-size ginger julienned
- 1 cup pepper leaves
- 1 medium green papaya or chayote
- 1 liter water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Saute onion, garlic, and ginger in 2 tbsp cooking oil.
- Add chicken, fish sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken liver and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add water and simmer until the chicken is half done approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the papaya or chayote and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the the papaya or chayote is done.
- Add long green chili pepper and pepper leaves and simmer for 1 minute then turn off the heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.