Chicharon Bulaklak or crackling pork mesentery is a favorite side dish or snack among the young and the not-very-young alike. It is also the favorite finger food or “pulutan” among the beer drinkers. Chicharon bulaklak is very expensive when you buy it from specialtty stores located in shopping malls. Cost would be as high as PhP1,200.00 per kilogram or PhP120.00 per 100 grams. It is so expensive because a 1 kilogram of uncooked pork mesentery would yield only around 200 to 250 grams of cooked chicharon bulaklak. It is also very hard to buy uncooked pork mesentery in meat shops since one pig yields only 1 to 2 kilograms of mesentery.
Hypertensives and those with high cholesterol are advised to shy away from fatty foods but a few pieces once in a while to satisfy that craving won’t hurt. Learn how easy it is to prepare this expensive crackling pork mesentery by watching the cooking video in this post. Try this and let me know your experience. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 kg bulaklak ng baboy (Pork Mesentery)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Clean well the pork mesentery under running water.
- Boil the pork mesentery in 1 liter of water with salt and vinegar for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under running water.
- Let cool and cut into desired serving size.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Serve with vinegar with chili pepper.
Note: A 1 kg raw pork mesentery would yield around 200 to 250 grams of crunchy chicharon bulaklak.