Pork Hamonado is a very delicious dish that is quite challenging to prepare but would definitely be worth your time. Use pork pique for leaner meat but you can use pork kasim if you prefer meat with in-between fat. Inform the butcher that you are preparing hamonado and he would know how to slice the meat. A one kilogram meat would make two or three pieces of thinly sliced pork cuts for hamonado preparation. You will also need a white cotton crochet thread in securing the rolled up pork. Do not use colored crochet thread as the colored thread would stain the meat and sauce. Rolling and securing the seasoned pork like a log is quite tricky but practice makes perfect. Use only stainless steel pot or ceramic coated pot for cooking. Do not use aluminum pot because the pineapple juice would react with the aluminum and would give the pork hamonado a metallic taste.
This pork hamonado recipe is best served with sliced bread or pandesal but would do well with steamed rice. Try my recipe and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 kg pork, sliced thinly
- Mixture of 150 grams white sugar and 50 grams rock salt
- 432 grams canned pineapple chunks in heavy syrup
- 500 ml unsweetened pineapple juice
- Season pork with the sugar and salt mixture. Consume all of the mixture of 150 grams white sugar and 50 grams rock salt.
- Roll the pork and tie securely with white cotton crochet thread.
- Place the pork in a stainless steel pot. Pour in the pineapple juice and the pineapple chunks syrup. Set aside the pineapple chunks.
- Simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the pineapple chunks.
- Let cool then remove the thread carefully.
- Slice the pork hamonado crosswise and top with sauce and pineapple chunks.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8-10 servings.