Chicken barbecue is a very popular Filipino dish. It is almost always served during parties, holidays, picnics and special occassions. It is also a favorite street food. Just look around the corner and you will see all sorts of barbecues on stick sold by street food vendors. There are so many variations of this recipe and almost all of them are charcoal-grilled. But if you live in a condominium or in a small crowded area, you cannot afford to do charcoal grilling because of the excessive smoke you will produce while grilling. Inhaling smoke is definitely bad for your health. It might trigger an asthma attack too. Try my chicken barbecue recipe and smokeless cooking style so that you can enjoy chicken barbecue minus the harmful smoke. Don’t forget to serve this dish with garlic fried rice and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 24 hours | Cook Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 4 pieces chicken quarter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup banana ketchup
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Combine and mix well all the ingredients.
- Marinate the chicken for 24 hours inside the refrigerator or freezer tightly covered.
- After 24 hours, separate the chicken from the marinade.
- Use a convection oven to grill the chicken. Set the temperature to 225 degrees centigrade and cook each side for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add the cooking oil and the marinade then boil until the sauce thickens.
- Baste the chicken with the sauce when the chicken is nearly cooked.
- When the chicken barbecue is done, reheat the remaining sauce for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp banana ketchup to the sauce and use as dipping sauce.
- Serve hot with garlic fried rice.
Makes 4 pieces of chicken barbecue.